With so much fitness information out there it can be hard to know where to begin! This is especially true if you’ve never actually put a focus on exercise and personal health & fitness before. Here are a few of my top tips to anyone starting off.
- Identify your “why,” “what,” and “how” so you can be clear about your goals (you can even write these down).
- Try starting with three 30-minute workouts a week to pace yourself.
- Prioritise consistency.
- Find other active people to support your efforts.
- Do workouts you actually like – you’re more likely to stick with it.
- Invest in a great pair of shoes – your body will thank you for it!
- To avoid burnout and injury, start slow and build it up
- Accept that you’ll have setbacks along the way
- Think of working out as an act of self-care.
- Master fundamental movements like squats, lunges, presses & pulls before getting too fancy.
- Don’t compare yourself to people who are further along in their fitness journey.
- Know that results don’t happen right away – it’s a lifestyle change we are going for
- Set SMART goals, Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant/Realistic & Timely (Set athletic goals, like doing push-ups on your toes instead of your knees or running a certain distance)
This list can easily be added too but certainly following these will get you going on your way!